Wednesday 18 September 2013

TV - The Returned



"The Returned"

"Les Revenants"

When a friend  in my work said " I've been watching an excellent French tv series that I think would be right up your street" 
I said "Whatcha talkin bout Willis!"



Then he went on to say " It's totally French speaking and fully subtitled all the way through" 
I said "Ehhhh, NO THANKS!!!" 

(As much as I would want you to believe I'm all arty farty, an into obscure foreign films/tv shows because it's a vibe I dig. There's little I hate more on tv, than watching  foreign speaking shows, fully subtitled which means my eyes are getting distracted away from the show itself....My problem, not the film or tv shows)

He then dropped the one and only thing he could have, that had me saying "What time did you say it was on again?!"
He hit me with this bombshell " It's like a modern day Twin Peaks only slightly darker"

I jumped in with both feet, and to be fair he was bang on the money. This show is superb, and the subtitles seem to add to the series,  giving the whole feel to the story that extra bit of suspense and tension.

The Returned is set in a small French mountain community, who find that several people they once thought dead and buried, suddenly turn up at their doors looking the same age as the day they passed away. Along with the return of the dead, comes terrible murders that remind the people in the community of a serial killer from their past.
There is also one hell of a 'Mexican Stand Off' the likes you have never seen or likely to see ever again.

If mystery,  suspense, tension filled drama, dark minimalistic acting of a very high quality is your bag. Then this will be right up YOUR street.

Ohh! and as a side note, the soundscore for the show  is supplied by Mogwai, who succeed in adding another fantastic layer of darkness & light to a already mood filled canvas.  

A compellingly creepy 4.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment